Understanding the tool

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:44 PM

I did kind read through the sample and I'm wondering how to use it properly. The tutorial on robotfoot game is confusing because it uses gsm and the xbox. Does easystorage saves a xml or it use a xnb or maybe a different sort of text? 

Coordinator
Aug 6, 2011 at 4:04 PM

EasyStorage doesn't save any kind of file. All it handles is StorageDevice and StorageContainer management and handing you a stream to a file. Whatever you put in that stream is up to you.

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:17 PM

that  confuse me little. But thanks for answering. Maybe I should some more reading. But I'm having a hard time grasping the concept behind your tool.  If you have any paper or link I could use it would be great. 

regards

Coordinator
Aug 6, 2011 at 4:39 PM

The idea is management of the StorageDevice as well as a layer of abstraction so that you can use the same interface on Windows or even Windows Phone where there is no StorageDevice. On Xbox EasyStorage takes care of things like prompting the user for the storage device, displaying notices if the user cancels that prompt, and displaying messages if the user removes the storage device. 

The closest I have to a paper is this blog post I wrote which covers pretty much all of the original EasyStorage code: http://blog.nickgravelyn.com/2009/07/storage-device-management-20/. Not quite exactly the same code in there now, but it's the same idea.